Select grade below

Sharks Cull Premiers

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 3:35 PM

East Fremantle have continued their impressive pre-season form with a nail biting 3 point win over West Perth at East Fremantle Oval. A last minute mark by young defender Matthew Jupp saw East Fremantle hang on to beat a fast finishing West Perth 11.7 (73) to 10.10 (70).

Despite the Sharks leading by 33 points midway through the final term, last year's Premiers mounted a stunning comeback to draw within 3 points of the home side.
Goals to Mathew Bartholomew and Matt Fowler had East Fremantle worried before a stunning roving goal by Brett Peake gave the Sharks a slim 9 point lead.
Another late West Perth goal to Jordan Jones shortened the margin back to 3 points before Jupp's mark and a subsequent free kick to Rory O'Brien saw the Sharks over the line.

East Fremantle led at every change after New Sharks skipper Rory O'Brien won the toss and elected to kick to the Canning Highway end of the ground; which was being aided by a strong breeze.
Despite the slight advantage, it took East Fremantle 5 minutes to open the scoring with Rob Young kicking truly after marking strongly in the goal square.
West Perth responded 6 minutes later with a goal of their own through Shaun Marusic, before Boston Williamson kicked 2 goals within a minute - instantly impressing the home crowd on his East Fremantle debut.
A late Matt Guadagnin goal saw the Sharks' quarter time lead reduced to 7 points.

The second term was marred by a clash between East Fremantle's Sam Reid and the Falcon's Aaron Black, leaving the young Shark with a gash to the head and Black's name entering the umpire's book.
Both sides' half backs were kept busy as the midfielders struggled to hit up forward options.
It took 11 minutes before East Fremantle finally added to their half time score with Jack Perham and Michael Edwards extending the lead to 19 points.

Again the Cardinals added some respectability to the score line with Jay Van Berlo goaling late to reduce the margin to 10 points at the main break. West Perth would rue their missed chances in the second quarter - putting the ball out on the full three times from set shots - as would East Fremantle, as both sides struggled to handle the windy conditions.

West Perth started the third term confidently with Steve Potente finally registering consecutive goals for the Blue and Red.
The third term continued much in the style of the previous two with both sides battling the breeze and some torrid defending.
Andrew Stephen and Matthew Jupp were particularly impressive in keeping West Perth's forwards quiet as Rory O'Brien and Bradd Dalziell took hold of the midfield.
The Sharks broke free and kicked the next three goals to go into three quarter time with a game high 22 point lead.

Brett Peake and Ryan Lester-Smith kicked early goals to extend East Fremantle's lead to 33 points before West Perth went up a gear kicking 5 straight goals.
West Perth's run of goals was overshadowed by the injury of Andrew Strjk who left the ground with what appeared to be a serious injury to his right shoulder.
Peake's third goal gave East Fremantle enough of a lead to secure the win as all three grades and the development squad took home the Premiership points on the opening day of the season.
Brock O'Brien had an impressive return to league football with 25 disposals across the half back as his brother continued his midfield dominance from last year with 37 disposals.

Bradd Dalziell capped off his 50th game with 33 touches while Jamie McNamara impressed with 27 possessions on his return to Shark Park.

EF 3.2, 5.2, 8.5, 11.7 (73)
WP 2.1, 3.4, 4.7, 10.10 (70)

EF - Peake 3; Lester-Smith, Williamson 2, Edwards, Perham, Dalziell, Young 1
WP - Bartholomew, Van Berlo 2; Tsalikis, Fowler, Jones, Marusic, Potente, Guadagnin 1.

By Ryan Miller