Heartbreak as Tigers Steal Win on Siren

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 11:15 AM

The Sharks suffered a heartbreaking loss on Saturday afternoon, with Claremont goaling right on the final siren to win by 4-points.

East Fremantle got off to a good start, with Jack Perham kicking the game’s first goal in the opening minutes of the term. Unfortunately, the Sharks missed opportunities in front of the goal, keeping the Tigers in the game, before Jarrad Jansen hit the board, picking up a dropped ball and dribbling it through the big sticks. Claremont added some of their own, before a fantastic grab and kick by Perham into a crowed forward 50, saw Kommer take an outstanding diving mark and finish with a goal, to give the Sharks a 4-point lead at quarter time.

Coming out with a great sense of urgency, the Sharks converted early with a booming kick from Perham to nail the first goal of the term. Sean Fletcher backed it up, with a contender for goal of the year, clearing the ball from the centre and taking it all the way to nail his first major of the game. The Tigers took their opportunity when it came, adding two goals to their tally. Carl Green responded for the Sharks with massive running goal and Jordan Snadden followed suit, snapping an impressive major under pressure. Perham added his third for the day, the result of great team work from Harry Creasy in the backline and debutant Russell Wynne. A late goal from Claremont put the margin to 21-points in favour of the Sharks heading into the main break, a lead many felt could have been greater.

Jansen got Old Easts off to a good start, nailing a goal from the back of the pack almost 50 metres out. Unfortunately, that was about as good as it got for the Sharks in the third term.  A couple of changes from the Claremont coaching staff stifled the influence of the strong East Fremantle midfield and that saw the Tigers win far more contested football.  Claremont also hit the scoreboard to take a 3-point lead into the final stanza.

The final term was nothing but nerve-racking for supporters, with the both sides coming out desperate to take the four points. It was Claremont that managed the first goal, but Perham came through for his fourth at a crucial time. In a game like tug-of-war, Claremont booted another before the Sharks responded through Kommer, snapping a goal from 40 metres out on his left. The defensive pressure from both sides was incredible and in a game where every point counted, the Sharks were up by 2 in the final minutes of the term. The Tigers moved quickly to get the ball back towards their inside 50 and the Sharks did everything to stop the momentum until a late call of holding the ball gave Claremont the opportunity to win the game. Instead of taking the kick, Claremont’s J.Law dished off to the skilful K.Yu to give them the chance at a running goal, which went through as the siren sounded.

Onballers Nick Kommer, Jared Jansen and Cam Eardley were terrific for the Sharks along with running half-back Jayden Schofield.  Key forward Jack Perham also among the best with his goals.  Dylan Winton and Jonathon Marsh stood tall in defence while Jonathon Griffin finished with 37 hit-outs.

The Sharks now turn their attention to the ANZAC Derby and look to bounce back against arch rivals, South Fremantle.